Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Blyth the man

The reading:

I once received a letter from Dr. Suzuki Daisetz. On the envelope my name was transliterated into three Chinese characters, Furai-shi, which also means, "You haven't come (to see me for a long time). " But it has a further Zen meaning, "Mr. Not-coming one", that is, (the real) you has not come, will not go; you cannot die, because you are a "not-born-person."

I am a pacifist, letting other people defend me from all those millions who would rob me of my worldly goods, liberty, and life itself; a vegetarian whose shoes are made of leather; a teacher who teaches that only teachers are human - business men, politicians, doctors, lawyers and so on being mere parasitic blackmailers - and who teaches that people are unteachable.

...What do Christians think they are going to do in Heaven? What books are they going to read? Do they think they are going to play Johann Strauss on their golden harps? Dante was not so cheap as to suppose that people talked shop in Limbo. People seem to want to live greedily and vulgarly now, because they think they won't be able to do so in the next world.
Zen and Zen Classics, Volume Two, Chapter Thirteen

Discussion:

Blyth's work is unparalleled, in my experience, as a source of Zen history and writings, especially for the West. His friendship with Suzuki is one of the great gifts to history, their collaboration and mutual efforts in translation and scholarship are unique. Blyth himself seems to appreciate Zen without swimming in it, like a painter of rich woodland scenery that lives in a tenement flat.

Blyth's struggles are so ordinary, while his contribution is so singular! I think he would like the irony of that. When Blyth talks about himself, I am left with a single sentiment, although fondly:

It is all necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment