Saturday, December 29, 2012

Ummon

The Reading:

My work here is something that I can not help. When I tell you to penetrate into all things and to be nonattached to them, I have already concealed what is within you. Yet you all continue looking for Chan among my words, so that you may achieve enlightenment with myriad deviations and artificialities. You raise endless questions and arguments. Thus you merely gain temporary satisfactions from verbal contests, repeatedly quarrel with words, and deviate even further from Chan. When will you obtain it and rest?
.
A monk asked, "How should one act during every hour of the day such that the ancestors are not betrayed?"
Yunmen said, "Give up your effort." The monk said, "How should I give up my effort?" Yunmen said, "Give up the words you just uttered."

Discussion:
!

No comments:

Post a Comment