Friday, September 14, 2012

The Reading:

Bodhidharma said, "The time is coming, and why do you not tell me what each one of you has attained?"

Dofuku (Ta0-fu) one of the disciples, said: "According to my insight, the Tao operates neither depending upon letters nor separate from them."  Dharma said, "You have my skin."

Soji (Tsung-ch'ih) the nun, said, "According to my understanding, it is like Ananda's seeing the land of Akshobhya-Buddha: it is seen once and never seen twice."  Dharma said, "You have my flesh."

Doiku (Tao-yu) said, "The four elements are from teh first empty and the five aggregates (skandhas) are non-existent.  According to my view there is not one object which is said to be attainable."  Dharma said, "You have my bones."

Finally Yeka (Hui-k'o) came out, made his bow, and took his place.  Dharma then said, "You have my marrow."
-Transmission of the Lamp, trans D.T. Suzuki, Studies in Zen, p23

Discussion:

It may seem like Yeka's answer was easy to give.  If you think so, then you haven't stood before Bodhidharma.  If you think so, you have never answered the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment